Sunday 17 April 2011

Positive Thinking

Last week I attended a kind of audition for another play I'm interested in. It wasn't a formal audition but I spent the whole time reading for a character called Rachel, who was middle aged and the lady of the house. I actually really liked the part, even though I am no where near middle aged! But of course there is make-up, costume...

Today, I returned from Manchester where I had spent an enjoyable Saturday out celebrating my birthday next week, to show my commitment for this role which I wanted. I had already started learning lines for it. At 4pm today, me and this other lady found out our fate. Of course I never got it, was never going to I guess, due to the age. It's pretty difficult to make yourself look older. I guess this is the one time, I'd like to look older. Anyway, I'm human and was understandably angry and disappointed. I have this stupid other character with only 8 lines. I am the far better actress, better stage presence but this other lady received the part. Tough life hey?!

By next week I have to swallow my pride and watch someone else do this role, which I know I could have done better and play this minor character. But rest assured I may only have 8 lines, but they will be the best 8 lines of the entire play. So much for positive thinking; it has merely made my fall harder and much more difficult to recover from.

No comments:

Post a Comment