Friday 22 October 2010

My temper and a little old man

The adventures of my protagonists will continue on this again, very cold morning. But until I start I feel the inevitable need to tell you about my wonderful service to the community.

I deliver Kleeneze catalogues; you know the sort, the ones that arrive through your front door and you curse and either do one of the following things:

1)      Throw them back outside to get wet.
2)      Throw them in the bin.

Thankfully having reached my customer base, and having a loyal band of followers, I do not ever come across number 1 or 2, but I have done in the past. I only ever once lost my temper with a little, old man who lives on the outskirts of Stafford. I parked opposite his house, not blocking anyone’s drive and after pushing the catalogue through his door he at once came marching out swearing and shouting at me. I merely said he didn’t own the road, to his first look of distain that my car was parked opposite the house. Then he started to rant about Kleeneze; he neither cared nor understood that each representative is individual and no amount of phone calls to the headquarters will change that fact, and mean he won’t get another catalogue from someone else. Three times I told him that we were all self-employed and worked for ourselves. He didn’t listen and I walked off with his shouting ringing in my ears and a parting phrase of; ‘don’t worry I won’t ever come to your house again.’

That is a very unique experience and I’m also quite proud to say I lost my temper. Well, he deserved it. Kleeneze allows me to get out and about, and I normally drag my Mum with me for company. 74 catalogues are going out this afternoon, not something I want to do but know I have to do it; and on my round I have to listen to Justin and Grace, the characters from my novel, protesting about why they haven’t left Canary Wharf yet.

Have a great weekend everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, Apple, it sounds like that little old man must have been very sad to have so much nager stored up for someone who touched his life. Good to see your first two posts. It was difficult reading this one, you're text is very small on my computer, you must have excellent sight.
    Hope all is well
    wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed both your posts and am looking forward to future ones. (I agree with Wendy House's text comment though).

    I lived next door to a man like the one you describe. He probably did have a lot of sadness in his life but I resented the fact that he took his anger out on everyone in the street or even walking by. It made me feel anxious and helpless the whole time I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey to both of you, thanks for your comments. I agree with you about the font colour; I love bright colours but I think I might have gone over-board with the red and purple. Apologies! In hindsight, I did feel sorry for the man , which of course is a marvellous thing. Stay tuned for more posts (in black text!) x

    ReplyDelete