Friday 28 January 2011

Define ‘lunchtime’

Having too much time on my hands, I frequently eat lunch in Café Nero in the centre of town. Their hot chocolates really are too good to resist. Yesterday I arrived halfway through the possible lunchtime rush, so imagine my surprise finding the majority of the tables taken up by customers having only ordered a coffee. It was lunchtime. Where was their lunch? I felt pretty stupid being one of only a handful of diners at 1 o’clock. Finding out that another of our restaurants in Stafford had indeed recently told customers that unless they were eating between 12 and 2, they had to sit in another part of the restaurant, I allowed myself a small smile. How many of you have entered a restaurant and struggled to find a seat because all the tables are taken up with coffee drinkers? Be honest now, hands up. I have! It is very frustrating. Perhaps the increasing obesity problem in our country is having more of an impact than we originally thought. All things considered, I’m going to stick with a wonderful quote that my best friend told me yesterday; ‘coffee is the new lunch.’ Perhaps…but lunch will always get my vote.

5 comments:

  1. This made me smile!
    chunky soup is my new lunch, since all the cafe's with walking distance of work closed down. That probably makes soup the new coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your friend. I also noticed that in lunch time all coffee shops are filled to the brim. Interesting,huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy - your comment about soup being the new coffee is so true. While in Cafe Nero I saw quite a few people eating soup but more drinking coffee sadly ;)

    Olga - at lunchtime most of our coffee shops are full but my sister brought up an interesting point; a coffee with hazelnut syrup, whipped cream and grated chocolate on top is filling and quite enough at lunchtime. I'm relieved I don't like coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would absolutely go for lunch every time. Coffee is OK, tea is better but at lunchtime nothing beats lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to have you back Froggy. Tea is much better than coffee, and I look forward to my lunch. I'll especially need my food next week ;)

    ReplyDelete