Friday 25 February 2011

Withdrawal Symptoms

Two weeks ago was the penultimate night of my debut play, 'The Ghost Train.' The whole week of five performances was categorically the best week of my whole life. Honestly if someone had told me five years ago, I would perform on the stage infront of 100 people I would have just laughed. Now, it seems like the most obvious thing to do. The After Show Party was amazing, we had such a laugh on the Saturday night, but on Sunday I felt like a lost puppy. What on earth was I going to do with my Monday and Thursday nights now? Rehearsals had been my life for the last four months. Now I could quite happily forget my lines, and carry on with my life. Only I am now contemplating the merits of acting professionally. Insane? Possibly.

Since the end of the performance I have given this a lot of thought. I haven’t reached a major decision yet, but a few close friends have certainly given me their blessing and told me, they don’t think I’m insane. The difficulty lies in the fact that I don’t think I will be given as many opportunities with my local Amateur Drama group for acting, as I would like. In the next play, I’m prompting which I love. In my opinion it’s the next best thing after appearing on stage. I certainly want to audition for the next play in November, but to act full time would be the most amazing opportunity. More thought on the subject is definitely needed...

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! Do give it a lot of thought of course but if you have found something that you would love to do as a career that is excellent. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the experience of performing in front of so many people. It is great isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Froggy, I'm still thinking about it long and hard. And God yes, it was so exciting, I loved it as you have read. The feeling of being on stage was amazing, I didn't want to be anywhere else x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear someone so passionate and ehtuisastic about something. Most of my friends who went into professional acting started in their 30's through local theatre - amatuer dramatics, then got role-playing jobs for theme nights like medieval banquets, murder mystery dinners while they built up their equity hours then onto getting agents and working (and 'resting') professionally.... I get a real kick out of it whenever I see them perform. So special to see someone follow their dreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks so much for that advice, Wendy, that's really cheered me up. That's given me a lot of hope too. I know I've been bad about reading your blogs, but I havrn't forgotten and will get back into it, when life allows me. x

    ReplyDelete